Become an Early Bird in the Gym: 5 Tips from Datefit to Squeeze in Your Workout Before a Busy Work Day.
As far as gym excuses go, we’ve heard them all at Datefit…
“I want to be in better shape, but I just don’t have the time!”
“I’m sure I’d look like that to, if I didn’t have a full-time job.”
“I really want to hit the gym later, but I have no motivation after 8 hours of work.”
This list could go on for days, but that’s not what you came here for. With the holiday season right around the corner, fitting in a workout can seem like an impossible task.
With long work days, Christmas shopping, and holiday get-togethers, your schedule is probably all booked up, right? But somehow, we always manage to fit in an hour-long scrolling sesh on Instagram or an extra episode on Netflix at night. Whether we like it or not, we all have the same 24 hours in a day. It’s all about priorities.
Right now, setting an alarm 1.5 hours earlier sounds about as fun as doing burpees in gym class. However, the endorphin high that you feel for the rest of the day is SO worth it.
One of our favorite quotes at Datefit is, “If you fail to prepare, you are preparing to fail.” Well, if you prepare your workout gear, food, caffeine, etc. you are already set up for success! Alas, here are some helpful tips to get in that workout before a busy day:
1. Lay out workout outfit, shoes, socks, everything the night before: having workout clothes laid out next the bed has been one the most helpful steps in getting to the gym before the sun comes up. There is no time wasted rummaging through drawers in the dark when you’re already prepared! Lay it all out there, pants, shirt, sports bra, shoes, headphones, etc.
2. Mix up your pre-workout/pre-set your coffee maker before bed: a big factor in getting to the gym early in the AM is caffeine! Before bed, mix up your pre-workout and throw it in the fridge so that you can head out the door without thinking. If you aren’t a pre-workout person, try setting your coffee maker for the AM so the smell of fresh brew gets you out of bed.
3. Set MULTIPLE alarms: by setting more than one alarm, you’re reminded that you are sleeping on your goals, literally. At first it may help to set 2 or 3 alarms, about 5 minutes apart to ensure you get out of bed. It’s helpful to utilize the “name alarm” feature on your iPhone with a personal goal of yours (i.e. vacay in x weeks, #12weeksout, goal weight #). You can even name the alarm with your favorite motivational quote such as, “be stronger than your excuses.”
4. Meal prep your breakfast and lunch: if you have a day job to get to post-workout, having your meals prepped beforehand will be a game changer. This will cut down on the time you spend in the AM packing up your lunch or making breakfast in a rush. Easy things to prepare for post workout include: overnight oats with protein, breakfast scramble to pop in the microwave, banana and peanut butter, protein bar, etc. Food preparation saves time and saves you from snacking on unhealthy options… like hitting up Micky D’s drive-thru on the way to work... #poison.
5. Pack your work clothes in your gym bag: Pick out your work outfit the night before and bring it along with you. This will shave off some travel time rather than stopping at home on the way. You can rinse off in the locker room, throw on your work clothes, and get on with your day! You can thank us for that post-workout glow that you’ll be rocking for the rest of the day!
If you have any tips of your own- share them
below! We would love to hear your personal
advice & share it with the Datefit community.