How to Start Your Fitness Journey With 5 Easy Steps.
The toughest part about starting your fitness journey is... to simply BEGIN! We all start somewhere, but that should not keep you from reaching your goals. Datefit wants to help you become the best version of yourself, so this week we're giving you 5 easy tips to conquer your fitness goals this month.
One of the top reasons people shy away from the gym is the intimidation from the gym regulars, which we call this "gymtimidation." This could come from the hulk in the squat rack grunting to the entire weight room or the fit chick taking workout selfies in the mirror. While these people may be "regulars" at the gym, they were once first-timers too!
When I first started my fitness journey back in the day, it was hard to navigate through the variety of diet information out there and all the workout regimes on the market. However, you don't need to start off buying a fancy meal plan you just need to START. These were the 5 things that helped me get started and stay motivated inside and outside of the gym.
1. Create a fitness vision board (in real life or with Pinterest): Back in the day, vision boards used to be such a motivational tool to start working out. However, Pinterest is a little more time efficient and has endless amounts of information! You can create a compilation of workouts, motivational quotes, inspiration, recipes, meal prep ideas. Speaking of Pinterest... are following Datefit's Pinterest yet? If not, check it out for some motivation, tips, and recipies!
2. Keep a food journal: It might seem intimidating to start tracking your food and nutrition, but the bottom line is "calories in vs calories out." This means that if you are burning more calories than you are taking in, you will lose weight (and vice versa). So, start tracking! You can use apps such as MyFitnessPal, Lose It, or Lifesum to get started.
3. Meal prep your food each week: We’ve mentioned in a previous blog that “if you fail to prepare you are preparing to fail.” That holds true in the nutrition department of your fitness journey. Meal prepping once a week keeps you stay consistent and will help keep you on track when you’re in a rush. This can be as simple as preparing your breakfast and lunch and packing up some protein bars to snack on while you travel!
4. Don't be scared of weights or resistance training: Many people are hesitant to begin lifting because “lifting makes you bulky” or because they are unfamiliar with navigating the weight room. Did you know, that resistance training will keep you burning more calories at rest, even after your workout is over? The simplest way to build your confidence in the weight room is to look on websites such as Bodybuilding.com or Youtube and check out workout programs and demonstrations. This will show you how to structure a workout and use the machines without feeling insecure in the weight room.
5. Grab a workout partner or gym buddy: Feeling confident in the gym is half the battle. Coming back each day the other half, which is why having an accountability partner or workout buddy will keep you motivated! This could be your roommate, best friend, parent, partner, etc. This will keep both of you accountable and create a bonding activity for you as well!
Datefit knows that starting your fitness journey can be difficult, but with these 5 tools under your belt- you will see progress so quickly. These tools will help your nutrition, confidence, and motivation tremendously so that you’ll be a pro in the weight room before you know it!
Let us know if you have any extra tips to add for beginners .
- Datefit ❤️